Saturday, December 2, 2017

My Recipe for Salisbury Steak

It's been nearly 10 years since I last posted, but I think I'm going to do it more regularly.  Of course, that is what I said when I started!

Those of you who know me know that I am a pretty decent cook for someone who never had any professional training.  My mother was a great cook and though she never really let us do anything in the kitchen growing up, some of it did manage to rub off.  One thing that I like to do is to experiment with new ingredients and techniques on traditional recipes.   On occasion this can lead to diaster, but my instincts are pretty good, and over time you develop a feel for what is and is not important in a recipe.   I'm also a big fan of America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated school of cooking, though they can be a bit pedantic.

Today's recipe is my variation on salisbury steak.  Now this probably brings up bad memories for most people of frozen TV dinners and bad school cafeteria lunches, but I've always loved it.  Heck, I even like the 99 cent Banquet specials from your local supermarket.

Nothing terrible unusual about my recipe expect for the marinating with baking soda.  This is a trick I read about that tenderizes and changes the texture of beef/pork.  For example if you have ever ordered steamed spare ribs or beef balls at dim sum and wondered how it never seems to come out the same when you try to replicate it at home.  The addition baking soda is the secret.

Here is simply augments the bread crumb and milk and creates a spongy texture that I like.  Feel free to omit it if that is not to your liking.

Ingredients:

2 lbs of ground beef
3/4 tsp baking soda mixed with 1 tbs water
1 cup of fresh white bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 large onion
12 oz mushrooms
2 tbl olive oil
3/4 cup dry brown gravy mix
2.5 cups of water
1/2 cup of red wine
1/2 tsp msg

Step 1: Mix ground beef with baking soda mixture and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Step 2: Add bread crumbs and milk to ground beef.

Step 3: Form 6 to 8 patties from ground beef mixture.

Step 4: Slice onions and mushrooms. Heat olive oil in Dutch Oven or large fry pan on medium high.  Add onions and mushrooms and saute for a couple of minutes.

Step 5: Push onions and mushrooms to edge of pan, then add beef patties.  Fry them on both sides for a total of around 6 minutes.

Step 6: While beef is frying, start heating water in saucepan and add gravy mix.  Be sure to stir it regularly so it doesn't get lumpy.

Step 7: After the beef finishes browning, add gravy, red wine, and msg.  Bring to a boil, turn heat down to a slow simmer, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.

Step 8: Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

No comments: